Monday, June 30, 2008

INSIDE EDGE: Super Saturday

The Allbritton Philibusters go into the playoffs as one very hot team. An all around solid effort from our club for both games.

Against WUSA...we jumped up early and never let off. Hoder was 2-2 with 5 RBI. George Williams II went 3-3. Cicatelli, back after a four game injury, was stellar (even while batting lefty). All around a total team win 10-3 (5 innings).

* Side note: A horrible injury to WUSA Coach J'ette..knee related that required 911 to be called and for J'ette to be taken off on a stretcher. All of us here at Allbritton wish her a speedy recovery...Get well soon.

** An email from J'ette Conaghan has been added to the comments section. Check it out.

Against WTTG. Yet another classic battle with the division champs. They truly are a great team and always come back when they are down...but today this Big Red Machine would not be denied. Hoder was 3-3 with 3 RBI, George Williams II again came up big going 2-2....and how about Lindsey Walton? A couple great grabs at second and she turned a double play...What a great 2008 season addition she has been.

We led 3-0 after 1. Then 3-2 after 2. It was all tied 3-3 after 3, because like I said, the Foxtrotters always come back...but in the 5Th we got 3 more to go ahead 6-3. Herndon, McFaul, Hoder, Powell, Williams II all get on...but of course, they got 2 more in the 6Th...make it 6-5. After shutting us out in the bottom of the 6Th, WTTG had the 7Th to try another colossal comeback...but stellar D by Mason Herndon, Lindsey Walton, and Bill Walker ended the game.

We win a tight one 6-5.

Go Philibusters!

1 comment:

Hoder said...

Here is an email J'ette sent after her trip to the ER:

Hey Hodie! Thank you so much for your kind words. THAT truly means a lot coming from you -- I was a 'wobbly' captain and even moreso NOW...LOL My team was non-existent when I came. I had to start from the ground up by myself -- totally green plus I also had just had spinal surgery. I was always the wise-ass catcher but I never managed a team, was never a captain. My goal: 9 people with matching hats. I got that plus won two games breaking the 7 year losing streak. This year, was the first time EVER in my entire life that I played another position. I went to 2nd and short outfield because my surgeon put my left leg back together in December -- something snapped off behind the left knee and I had to have bone taken out of my left foot. While that was healing, I broke ANOTHER toe on the left. My surgeon told me that catching days are done. I started the year off at 60-75% healthy. My goal for this year: 1-3 people extra, and I managed it by the grace of GOD, even on Komen day, which hits me pretty hard because it's the stations' largest project for the year and depletes me of players. I got the remainder of team to wear pink socks to that game in support of the station & our players in the race. (I'd like to see the entire league wear ugly pink socks on that day. It's on my list of things I'd like to do. I mean, even the semi-pro ball teams have pink bats or arm bands on that day.) With economy woes, more and more peeps are being laid off. It's going to be very interesting next season and I only hope that I still have people to recruit from. You know how that goes. Hell -- you may have grand-father me and Fuhr-ball onto your team! Again, many thanks for the offer to lend a hand and being supportive. It's people like you that make the world go round for the better - I admire your energy, drive, and you are a great spirit to be around. My team loves to play yours; although competitors, it's more like a bunch of buddies just hanging out on the field which is what it should be across the board for the league. I started bugging the team about coming out to the play-offs a couple of weeks ago, and I'm planning to come. I'd LOVE to see you guys win! From my team to yours, GIVE 'EM HELL!! Call anytime -- it's never a bother. Phone calls are welcome now that I'm laid up!LOL Best,